Basel Hakka Lutheran Church (BHLC) is seeking a Lead Pastor for their English Congregation. BHLC has served the greater Vancouver area for the past 30 years and the English congregation is a community church with an active membership base of 50 people.
The current Five Visions of the English Congregation are:
- Authentic Lifelong Discipleship and Mentoring
- Loving Committed Family Church
- Intentional Disciple-making Church
- Vital Witness to Our Neighbours
- Empowering Mission to the Dalits and Beyond
The Lead Pastor of the English Congregation is responsible to provide spiritual leadership by:
a) modeling in his or her personal life the grace and love of God;
b) proclaiming the Gospel of Jesus Christ;
c) teaching the biblical revelation;
d) engaging in pastoral care ministries; and
e) providing leadership and guidance in all areas of church life.
This position is accountable to The Church Council and The English Congregational Board.
1. Provide Spiritual Leadership
- Preach and teach the Word and conduct public worship in harmony with the faith and practices of this church.
- Mentor and work collaboratively with church leaders and co-pastor(s).
- Conduct marriage and funeral rites in accordance with the teachings of this church and in accordance with the laws of the Province of British Columbia.
- Administer baptism, confirmation and Holy Communion.
- Seek out and encourage qualified persons to prepare for the ministry of the Gospel and strive to extend the Kingdom of God in the community, at home, and abroad.
- Strategically disciple and equip members to be disciple makers, trusting and loving God so that they authentically desire to serve Him.
2. Provide Pastoral Care Leadership
- Visit church members, especially those who are ill and are in need.
- Provide counsel for all who request it or who are in need.
- Lead/train leaders in caring visitation of members.
- With the church Council administer discipline.
3. Provide Outreach Leadership
- Train, organize and lead members to do visitation of and witnessing to their neighbours.
- Lead church in planning regular outreach/revival emphasis.
- For members who move, commend them to the pastoral care of the church nearest the location of their new home.
4. Provide Administrative Leadership
- Lead church to develop basic church programs.
- Install members or the church Council.
- Lead church to plan monthly/annual calendar
- Supervise church employees according to church policy.
- Keep accurate membership records including baptism, confirmations, marriages, burials, and communicants, and keeping all such records in a separate book which shall remain the property of the church.
- Possess the qualifications in 1 Timothy 3:1-7
- Subscribe to and agree to the Apostolic, Nicene and the Athanasian Creeds, as well the unaltered Augsburg Confession and Luther’s Small Catechism
- Graduate from a recognized seminary with at least 5 years of North American pastoral experience.
- Fluency in spoken and written English; Chinese dialects are an asset but not a requirement.
- Strong leadership, communication, and interpersonal skills.
- Experienced in multi-cultural setting.
This is a full-time salary position with benefits.
Please send your Resume and Statement of Faith to the Pastoral Search Committee at firstname.lastname@example.org by October 15, 2014.